As a designer, you can jump start your projects by sketching and critiquing with your project team. You can harness the power of individual thinking and avoid the pitfalls of “design by committee” by learning some proven methods and techniques. In this approach, you will also learn how to build consensus towards your final project vision of the User Experience.
We expect to sell out, so you will want to register today! This is full-day workshop that starts at 9:00AM and runs to 4:30PM. Register today!
What You Will Learn….
Learn how to create ideas faster with these quick sketching methods:
- Understand how to sketch within a Design Studio
- How to use short bursts of focused sketching to generate idea
- Learn about 4 rules to use when you generate your sletches
- What data you need to focus your sketching efforts (personas, inventories, content audits)
- What are 4 rules for critiquing ideas and sketches
- Ways to control the conversation to help people focus on the work
- How to reach a consensus in the early (and later) rounds of a design studio
- Techniques to get useful discussions from people with competing interests
- Understanding roles andresponsibilities for participants
- How to effectively sketch and critique within a Design Studio
- Methods to encourage indivudal creativity and group consensus
- How to handle conflicts in humorous and non-judgemental ways
- Reasons for inviting a cross-function team
- Voting rules throughout the entire process
- Ways to prioritize solutions, especially when reaching a final decision
- When is the best time to do a Design Studio
Who should attend….
Anyone involved in designing a website or app, which includes designers, developers, marketers, writers, editors, project managers, start-ups, and VPs can all benefit from this workshop. Experienced professionals will get a great UX tune-up in this workshop. You will learn about different ways to conduct Design Studios based upon the latest trends and research. For newbies, this workshop provides a great foundation for performing Design Studios.
Once again, we will be at the very cool, hip, and happening incubator at the ATT Foundry & Gravity Center in Plano Texas. It is located near the highway with plenty of eateries to choose at lunch time.
The Gravity Center
2900 West Plano Parkway
Plano, Texas 75075
- 9:00AM — Start Time
- 12PM to 1:30PM — Lunch
- 4:30PM — End Time
- $79 per Professional
- $49 per Student (or for groups of six or more — bring some friends!)
- Brian Sullivan.
Brian Sullivan is the President of DFW-UXPA, Usability Principal at the Sabre Human Factors Center, Co-Founder of the Big Design Conference, and Founder of Big Design Workshops. Brian has spoke at SxSW Interactive 2012, Big Design Conference 2009-2012, and UPA Boston 2011. Brian has published over 200 articles on the Big Design Magazine site. He wrote the cover article for UX Magazine called “Design Like DaVinci” in 2011.Brian has been involved in the IT industry for over 20 years. Brian has held numerous positions including Content Management, Training Development, QA, Customer Support, and Usability. Brian has worked in the retail, banking, medical, financial, and travel industries. Brian holds an MA in English Literature, MBA in Management Information Systems, and CUA from Human Factors International.He lives in Texas with his wife (Susan), son (Sean), and their cat (Junior, who agrees to let them live in her house).
J. Schuh is also known as the Texas Animator. He is a founding member of a Dallas-based animation guild called “A Bunch of Short Guys” that hosts an annual conference with speakersfrom Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and ILM.On most days, you can find J. Schuh illustrating and making animated shorts for major brands. You have seen his work on Fox and Comedy Central. He is the President of Toons-n-Design and leads the Adobe nDesign Group in Dallas. In his spare time, he teaches art and design at a Dallas college.