The Windows Phone Bootcamp and Hackathon is a free, two-day event chock-full of everything you need to know to develop a Windows Phone application followed by an application building competition. Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or just getting started with .NET development this event is for you!
Windows Phone Bootcamp
In this workshop you’ll learn what it takes to build a native Windows Phone application. We’ll talk about what the Windows Metro design language means to Windows Phone developers, discuss the basics of Silverlight development, a work together to build a complete Windows Phone app from the ground up from File > New Project all the way through app submission in the marketplace.
We’ll also talk about some of the very popular Windows Phone Starter Kits and how you can utilize those to jump-start your application development and start building your application profile in the marketplace. You’ll leave with at least one fully functional app that you can start customizing with your own data and submit to the marketplace for instant global reach.
Windows Phone Hackathon
Now that you know what goes into building a Windows Phone app, and have built your first application along with us, we’re going to turn you loose on the Marketplace in a Hackathon competition. At the end of the hackathon, we’ll award two sets of prizes:
- A $500 CASH PRIZE will be awarded to the applications voted HIGHEST QUALITY APPLICATION byall participants at the Hackathon.
- We’ll also draw for a STAR WARS XBOX + KINECT BUNDLE among every participant in the Hackathon, with extra prize tickets awarded for every Windows Phone application submitted to the marketplace during the event.
Additionally, we’ll have periodic drawings throughout the event for various Xbox and PC games just to keep things hopping all weekend!
Seating is limited, so you will want to register right away. Register today at: http://bigd12hackathon.eventbrite.com/.
Friday, June 1
|9:00 AM:||Welcome + Overview of Windows Metro|
|10:00AM:||Building Windows Phone Applications with XAML and C#|
|1:00PM:||Publishing Your Application to the Marketplace|
|2:00PM:||Overview of the Windows Phone Starter Kits|
|9:00PM:||Doors close – go home for the night.|
Saturday, June 2
|9:00 AM:||Hackathon Continues!|
|9:00PM:||Announce winners, distribute prizes and go home a winner!|
IMPORTANT! – Prerequisites
Bring a notebook computer fully loaded with all the software you’ll need to build Windows Phone applications. Some of the software is required, some is optional.
- Windows Vista SP2 or later (Windows 7 preferred)
- Windows XP is NOT SUPPORTED
- Running Windows in a VM is NOT SUPPORTED
- Running Windows via Parallels on a Mac is NOT SUPPORTED
- Running Windows via BootCamp works great!
- You can get a free, 30-day trial of Windows 7 from http://aka.ms/win7trial
- Windows Phone 7.1 SDK (http://aka.ms/wp7sdk)
- Note that Visual Studio is NOT required before installing the tools, but if you have Visual Studio Pro or Ultimate, the Windows Phone tools will plug right in
- NuGet Package Manager (http://nuget.org)
- Windows Phone Icons Maker (http://wpiconmaker.codeplex.com/)
- Windows Phone 7 Training Kit (http://aka.ms/wp7hol)
- Windows Phone 7.5 Training Kit (http://aka.ms/wp75hol)
If you have any questions at all about the Windows Phone Bootcamp and Hackathon at the Big (D)esign Conference 2012, please reach out to msnextdeATmicrosoft.com. Prize winners must be 18 years of age or older. Government employees and Microsoft Employees and their families are excluded from prizes.
- Your Multimedia & Film Speakers for Big Design 2012 (bigdesignevents.com)
- Your Content Speakers for Big Design 2012 (bigdesignevents.com)