Join the UX Dallas Meetup Group
We are pleased to formally announce the UX Dallas Meetup Group. This meetup group was formed a few days after the Big Design Conference 2012. The goal of this meetup group is to provide networking and learning opportunities for designers, developers, and UX enthusiasts in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
The group has already had two events. The first meeting was An Evening with Eric Reiss, author of Usable Usability and CEO of FatDUX. In this meetup, Eric reviewed many of the great findings found in his book. Our first crowd had over 50 people. We are now up to 120 UXers.
The second meeting was workshop called the Top 20 UX Methods for Sites & Apps. In this workshop, Brian Sullivan reviewed ways for you to information from customers before you show anything, when you first show something, during a usability test, and after a product release. This workshop had almost 60 people attend. Over $4,500 was donated to a local youth basketball program. Plus, the group donated money to Haiti to feed 1,000 children for the day.
Upcoming UX Dallas Meetups
You don’t want to miss out on some upcoming events and workshops being planned by UX Dallas. Here is a tentative schedule of meetups:
- August: Conference Redux and Ice Cream Social. It is hot in August, so join us for some ice cream sandwiches and cool conversations, as we socialize and talk about the latest talks we head at SxSW, Big Design, IA Summit, and more.
- September: Axis and Allies–Design Thining in World War II. Ben Judy will be talking about how the design philosophies of World War II impacting the war effort. This talk was the hot topic at Big Design 2012 on Friday. Ben talks about guns, tanks, planes, ships, and Hollywood, too.
- October: Design Slam for Non-Profits. In this meetup, we will be working with several of the teams from Give Camp Dallas to improve the design of sites and apps for non-profits ahead of Give Camp Dallas later in October. At a similar event last year, we designed two websites and a mobile site.
- November: World Usability Day in Dallas. To coincide with the UXPA event, we are looking at having two meetups. You can attend a job fair at Sabre in Southlake, Texas. In the evening, we are planning on watching a movie at Connective Hub in Addison.
- December: Jingle Mingle for The DREAM Fund. Several of the design groups in Dallas gather together for an event to raise money for the Dream Fund, which is a non-profit group that helps out local designers in need of assistance due to an accident or illness. Last year, the event raised over $25,000. Over 20 organizations participated.
Upcoming UX Dallas Workshops
We are currently planning these workshops:
- Sketching User Experiences Workshop: In this workshop, Brian Sullivan and Jay Schuh will review various sketching methods to super-charge your projects. They will review Sketchnotes, Sketchboarding, Design Studios, Storyboarding, and more. It will be a fun-filled, interactive workshop. Details are coming soon.
- UX Inspections Primer: You can learn alot by looking at your site or app. Where do you start? What is the right method? What are the best practices? In this workshop, you will learn five different inspection methods. You will work with your fellow classmates to perform inspections on mobile sites, too. More details soon
Tell Us What You Want
The UX Dallas Meetup Group wants to know what you want to do at our events. Plus, we want to know what you want to learn at the workshops. Join the group today. We look forward to seeing you at a future meetup or workshop.