More than a Number’s Game: How the NBA Uses AI and Machine Learning to Transform Experiences
Every NBA team uses artifical intelligence and machine learning to transform the experience for players, coaches, and fans. In each NBA arena, you will find data scientists using state-of-the-art technology to track posessions, player movements, gather key statistics, review matchups, and more. Here are just a few examples that we will explore in this talk:
- Coaches use AI and machine learning to make decisions, draw up plays, determine trade/draft choices, etc.
- Players use video tracking with machine learning to improve their own development
- Fans use new apps to move beyond a viewing experience to interact with each other, coaches, and players
- Scouts use video, AI, and machine learning to determine which college players to review and recruit
- Teams use key algorithms to determine what fans will purchase, renew, and buy at key games
By reviewing how the NBA uses this technology to transform experiences, we belive it gives most companies a visionary path forward on how to actively embrace big data, AI, and machine learning. The key differentiator for elite teams is how data scientists use numbers to make critical decisions because it is more than a number’s game in the NBA.